February 28, 2013

from "Stray Birds" by Rabindranath Tagore

Stray Birds [excerpts]

44

The world rushes on over the strings of the lingering heart making the music of sadness.

46

God finds himself by creating.

48

The stars are not afraid to appear like fireflies.

49

I thank thee that I am none of the wheels of power but I am one with the living creatures that are crushed by it.

67

God grows weary of great kingdoms, but never of little flowers.

68

Wrong cannot afford defeat but Right can.

86

"How far are you from me, O Fruit?"
"I am hidden in your heart, O Flower."

134

The roots below the earth claim no rewards for making the branches fruitful.

154

By plucking her petals you do not gather the beauty of the flower.


-- Rabindranath Tagore, Stray Birds, New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916.