February 20, 2010

Excerpt, "Tokyo Story" by Yasujiro Ozu

Scene 161. A room. KYOKO is getting ready to go to school. NORIKO comes in.

NORIKO
Here's your lunch.

KYOKO
Thank you so much for everything.

NORIKO
I've only been a bother to you. You must come up to Tokyo now on your vacation.

KYOKO
Must you really go back today?

NORIKO (arranging her dress)
Yes, I'm afraid I have to.

KYOKO
I'm sorry I can't see you off at the station.

NORIKO
That's all right. Now be sure and come to Tokyo.

KYOKO
I'm so glad you stayed. I think they might have stayed a little longer, too.

NORIKO
But they're busy.

KYOKO
They're selfish. Demanding things, then leaving right away.

NORIKO
But they have their own affairs.

KYOKO
But you had yours, too.

NORIKO
But, Kyoko--

KYOKO
They are selfish. Wanting her clothes right after her death. I felt so sorry for poor Mother. Even strangers would have been more considerate. That's no way to treat your parents.

NORIKO
But, look, Kyoko. At your age I thought as you do. But children do drift away from their parents. A woman has her own life, apart from her parents, when she is Shige's age. She meant no harm, I'm sure. It's only that everyone has to look after himself.

KYOKO
I wonder. Well, I won't ever be like that. That would be just too cruel.

NORIKO
It is. But children get that way... gradually.

KYOKO
Then -- you too...

NORIKO
I may become like that. In spite of myself.

KYOKO
Isn't life disappointing?

NORIKO
Yes, it is.

KYOKO (smiling now)
You take care of yourself.

NORIKO
Thank you. Goodbye.

KYOKO goes to the veranda and looks toward the garden, then calls out.

KYOKO
I'm going now, father.

Then she goes to the entryway. NORIKO comes with her.

-- "Tokyo monogatari (Tokyo Story)," screenplay by Yasujiro Ozu and Kogo Noda (film released 1953), screenplay translated by Donald Richie and Eric Klestadt, 2003